Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Day to Day + Independence Day

Occasionally I'll have those aha sort of moments when I say to myself, "holy crap, I'm living and working in Australia right now".  I must be one of the luckiest people in the world that this is actually an option for me.  I'm really am enjoying myself, just exploring, meeting people and living the day to day life here.  Another thing that gets me is that I'm able to do all of this with one of my best friends here with me.  I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for Katy.  I love that girl to death and I'm so glad that we get to have this adventure together.  

A little reiteration for anyone who may have missed a post or two, Katy and I are currently sharing a room in a cozy little house located in the heart of Fitzroy, a really cool part of the city.  We share the house with an amazing Spanish girl named Maria, and this past week we've also been sharing the place with her friend Mirella who is visiting from France.  I work about a 7 minute walk from where we live in a little greek cafe called Síyía.  I have really chill coworkers and lots of regular customers who make work a fun and bustling place to be all day.   Other than that, life is simple.  Some nights we go out dancing, sometimes we go exploring or simply run errands.  Nothing particularly exciting or interesting to speak of.  

On the 4th of July we had an Amurika, fuck yeah! gathering at our place where we had our 2 friends from the states, Maria and Mirella (she's was raised in LA).  We had some drinks, got dressed in patriotic garb and made our way down to the sparsely populated bar on what here is just any other Monday night.  To say the least, the other people in the bar didn't really share our enthusiasm for the holiday.  Regardless, it was a fun time (what was less fun was getting up for work the next morning eeek).  


On the tram to Sydney Rd, Maria tries to rummage up some coin-age to pay her fare.





Just preparing for some shopping at Savers (the worlds biggest thrift store)





These stores have anything and everything.




Daniela's interpretation of the statue of liberty...I think she did a pretty good job.





Smushed in the corner of the beer garden of a bustling bar on Sydney Rd.





Katy doing her best Martha Washington.  How I wish that hairdo had held together long enough to make it to the bar.




I see the resemblance.





Texas. Florida. California. Florida. Spain.   We made Maria an honorary American for the night.  By our logic, we owed the "discovery" of the new world to good 'ole Chris Columbus, so this darling Spanish chica was welcome to celebrate our independence.





Now that's patriotic...

No comments:

Post a Comment