Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Trail blazin' to Toya Bungkah to climb Mount Batur


Where to start, where to start?  I’ve been bad about keeping things current, so first a little update.  Tomorrow, June 2nd I fly from Bali after a wonderful 30 days to Darwin, Australia.  Katy will meet me there a day later, and we’re going to couch surf for about a week, at which point we’re going to fly to Melbourne and start looking for work.  We both recently acquired our work-holiday visas for a year in Australia.  Who knows if we’ll stay the whole time, but we have the option should we want decide to stay.  The visa is meant to allow you to find work to supplement your travelling in Australia, so you’re not allowed to hold a job with one employer for more than six months.  But before we worry about that, Katy and I are focusing on finding jobs in general.  Please be kind Melbourne, I’d love to find a nice little job as a barista or something similar in a café to get my feet wet in the café business. 

Now for the backdated blogging, I last updated my interwebz audience (which most likely consists of no more than my immediate family and Katy’s Mom, hi Mom!) up to our visit to Ubud.  When we left Ubud, we caught a van to Toya Bungkah, where we planned to trek up Mount Batur and catch the sun rising over the the ridges of Mount Agung and look down on the whole island of Bali.  On the way there our driver convinced us to stop off at this tiny orchard, which specialized in growing coffee beans amongst a few other crops.  We sampled 8 different types of Bali coffees and teas, and if you know how much I love my coffee, you know I thoroughly enjoyed.  They had this weird specialty coffee that sells for insane prices anywhere else in the world that is made out of a coffee bean that has been digested by a weasel and then retrieved from its poop.  Some acid in its stomach does something to the bean during the process of digestion and turns their shit to pure gold.  I spend $50,000 rupiah (about $5 or $6 USD, which is unheard of) to try this weasel poop coffee.  It was good, but just different, not great by any means in my mind.  My suggestion, don't spend the $50-$100 on a bag of weasel poop coffee beans.  

They also had this giant fruit bat that you could feed coffee beans





My weasel poop coffee, Marcelle looks less than envious



After that little detour, we drove through the winding mountain roads, down to the beautiful lakeside bungalows of Toya Bungkah where we ate gado-gado and organized our trek up Mount Batur for the following morning. 



The view from the van





Kids at Toya Bungkah















Sunrise at the summit of Mount Batur










Breakfast was a steamed eggs and a steamed banana sandwich












wild monkeys on the ridge











"skiing" down the black sand ridge






our guide






silly photos, a great idea by our guide

No comments:

Post a Comment