Sunday, January 29, 2012

Australia, New Zealand and homeward bound


A beautiful lighthouse Peter brought me to in Sydney


That’s the thing about blogs…they’re very hard to actually upkeep with any consistency.  Well, consistency or not, I’m decided to have another crack at it and update those very few followers I may have left.

First things first, I said goodbye to Australia about two weeks ago.  It was a bittersweet parting because it meant leaving Melbourne, which had began to define stability for me for while there.  I was working at a job I liked with amazing people, I had made friends, habits and I had a place to call my own (though it was quite small, and those of you who saw my gimp room can attest to that fact).  Regardless, I loved Melbourne and all the lovely people I met there.  I hope I get a chance to go back again some day.

However, that being said, I left with big things in store.  I had a quick stop over in Sydney where I had the pleasure of staying with Alessa and Mark, going to the beach with Peter and having brunch with Naomi, along with sight seeing and all that jazz.  Not too bad for 3 days. 

Peter being a goofball for the camera, as usual




Windblown on the Sydney coastline




Seeing the sights in Sydney.





From Sydney I flew to Auckland, where I was met by the lovely Mr. Mountjoy, who toted me about for the past two weeks or so.  We had a few great days in Auckland with his brother, his fiancé and her little angels, as they ran around and tried to tick off wedding planning boxes and organize a tow bar to take the lovely Lucille down to the Coromandel with us to do some sailing.  We spent just shy of two weeks lounging, sailing, cooking sausages on the beach when fishing was less than fruitful and fresh snapper, john dory and kahawai when it was.  One day I slurped a raw, salty oyster right off the rock at low tide and another we picked a bucket full of mussels and cooked them up (after a bit of over salting confusion) and feasted on the bounty of the sea.  When we weren’t lounging on the black sand of Brie beach, we picked ripening plums off the trees of the farmhouse and wandered up to the overgrown orchard to nab a few lemons to make lemonade.  I guess you could say life’s not too bad down at the Colville farmhouse. 

Spike at the point of the meeting house




Cooking up some dinner




Sunset dinner down at the point




Vino up at the meeting house




Getting ready to trek to the farm house




And we're off...




The special of the day is left over basmati rice served on a scenic rock table



I spy a Spike up in a tree, trying to get a better view to see which way we should go.  I swear he's part monkey.



Cooking dinner on the beach, the lovely Lucille sitting on the mud in the background




Sausages!




Making lemonade cordial at the farmhouse




Look Ma!  I'm sailing!!!




Spike at the helm




Spike filleting some fish by the sea




The fisherman!




Playing with the computer with Spike's brother and nephews



Flowery descriptions of idyllic images aside, Colville really was an incredible place to stay.  A few days ago Spike rejoined his family for more wedding planning and stag do fiascoes, while I jumped into a car full of couchsurfers to hike the Tongariro crossing, a twelve mile trek filled with frost, a blistering southwesterly howl, jaw dropping views and sparkling blue alpine lakes.  After that stunning and butt-busting hike, I’m back in Auckland at my friend Sabrina’s place, nursing my sore muscles and planning my moves for the next two and a half weeks until I head back to the Florida.

The Tongariro Crossing









Three cheers for New Zealand!







Robert, the couchsurfer I caught a ride from Auckland with, a fine fellow.




These alpine lakes get there color from the volcanic mineral deposits.






That’s right, back to Florida!  I’ll be spending a few weeks at home, busting a move at Margo and Brian’s wedding, hanging with family and friends and then taking a little road trip up the east coast with the one and only Zachary Hayes.  If you’re anywhere between Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Philadelphia please drop me a line and we’ll make it a stop on the route up the east coast.  I’ll definitely be heading up to New York after Philly to see all you lovely folks in the big apple too.

After that, well it’s all up in the air still.  I guess I’ll just wait and see where the winds take me.  I’ll fill you blogosphere folks in as soon as I’ve sorted that one out. 

I can’t wait to see everyone back home in a few weeks!  Missing you dearly.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! So glad you finally shared more of your world travels. You know, I'm living vicariously through you. I can't wait to see you at home even if it's for a short while. Say "Hello and Cucurrucucu" to Spike.

    LY

    Mami

    ReplyDelete